Wednesday, July 25, 2012

ANOTHER AWARD! (ARE WE ON A ROLL HERE?)

There are times in Bear's life when things get downright peculiar.

There was a comment on my last post before the tornado nonsense in mid-June. My blog had been nominated for the "Inspiring Blog Award." This, from a total stranger.

So I did what I usually do. My "nose for news" got going, and moseyed on over to check out the details.

Jemima Pett works with animals. Guinea Pigs, in fact. (I want you to know that I behaved myself; I didn't eat either of them for a snack.) She turns them into the Princelings of the East in her fiction books. 

But really, anyone who works with animals like that has got to be a good person! (You go check her blog.)

As a recipient of this award, I am required to bore you with tell you seven exciting unique things about the Bear. The problem is, you already know so much about me (way too much, in fact) that it will be hard to say anything new. (Though, to catch a unique Bear, you neek up on him, very quietly.)

Anyhow.

1. I lived on Melrose Avenue in North York (right beside the City of Toronto) when I was growing up.
The original Melrose was in the Scottish border area, and had a wonderful abbey, which (I suspect) was demolished during the Suppression or Dissolution of the Monasteries by Henry VIII of England. The religious communities were basically sacked by Henry's troops between 1536 and 1541, and their money added to the Royal Treasury. I think he was worried about them being hotbeds of Roman Catholicism, ready to dispute his plans to try Britain's congregations in the Anglican Church.

2. My second favourite colour is green. And the older I get, the more I like green. Green as in trees, and grass, and plants. Particularly Hunter Green for painting.

3. I have a huge amount of trouble keeping my study clean and tidy. There is so much that I am doing that paper and books seems to accumulate here, there, and everywhere. But usually, I know where things are if I want them. Usually. (OK, sometimes.)

4. I have a mixed relationship with baking. I like making scones. But if I make them I'll want to eat them. Never tried donuts. Not much at cakes. Or cookies.
Maybe I just need more practice. Which would mean people to whom I can send my "treats." I wouldn't want to waste good food. Though some may go to waist.

5. I would love to have a motorcycle.
It's a death wish, I think.
Can you imagine a Bear on a motorcycle, outside a circus?
My point exactly. Sigh!

6. I used to be a day person. Now, I've become a night person. I'm not sure how this transition happened. I think it had to do with the amount of pain I have experienced, which sometimes (or more often) keeps me awake at night. 
How many of you are day people? How many night people?

7. I enjoy doing Tai Chi. I understand there are several groups going that in our city. I've tried contacting them, with no response. Have you ever tried that?

Last task. I need to nominate 15 people/blogs for the "Inspiring Blog Award." Herein lies the problem. I don't follow blogs which are un-inspiring. 

So Bear will be creative. And ask you inspiring readers for help with this. You tell me; which blogs do you consider inspiring, and worthy of this aware? Maybe one that I follow already; maybe something I have not seen before. Please let me know.

Blessings and Bear hugs to all.

28 comments:

Diana said...

Bears are more interesting then I first imagined!! You share your motorcycle dream with my husband Bear and I would be very interested in your scone recipe. I made Blueberry Scones last week for the first time for my family and they really enjoyed them. I found them a bit messy to make, perhaps that's the norm I don't know. Maybe you could share. Oh and Congratulations on your award!
Love Di ♥

Unknown said...

I love that you love green Rob-Bear...very eco...just what a Bear should be.
I nominate Premium T
http://premium-t.blogspot.ca/
she's a poet, a musician, works with a glass artist, survives the darkness of Seattle, and is a consumate survivor. She inspires me.
p.s. don't get the motorcycle.

Jackie said...

Hi Bear! Congratulations on the nomination. I always love to read about fellow bloggers.
Your wit and wisdom are fabulous (love the "go to "waist" comment)....:))
Sending you bear hugs from the Deep South, hoping you are having a fantastic week.
J.

ReformingGeek said...

I love scones!

I like to make cookies and I definitely need someone to share them with. I don't want more waist.

I'm a day person. Catch me between 10:00 and 2:00. :)

Golden Eagle said...

Congratulations on the award!

Interesting history of Melrose.

I like the color green, too.

Rosaria Williams said...

Bear, hope this doesn't go to your head!
Congratulations for inspiring people and for staying active enough to want to try new things all the time.

Chatty Crone said...

Congrats Bear - you do have an inspiring blog for us. Thank you.

My favorite color is green.

And your messy desk would be no different then my daughters messy desk her.

And you make scones? I've never made any.

Sandie

DJan said...

I loved your seven things. You are definitely a worthwhile recipient of these awards!

Helen said...

Hi Bear!
Thanks for coming to take a look at my latest Magpie! Not much time for me to be blog-hopping. My sister is visiting for two weeks all the way from Athens Ohio ... home of the Bobcats ... probably not the best friend potential for a bear!

I never tire of learning new things about you ....
Take care

Nancy said...

Congrats on your award! I also love green the older I get. I constantly look for all the shades of green I find here in the mountains. Oh, and I'm also a night person - it is currentluy 10:30 p.m. and my husband has been asleep for hours.

Mary said...

The hat...the hat...pull the name from the hat full of wonderful blogs..Hahhaha.ehhehee it's an idea. It's nice to meet you. Mary

The Blog Fodder said...

Never ate a guinea pig but did get yelled at by a couple of teachers for teaching children to be cruel to them. The kids came to get lettuce for the school guinea pigs and I told them if they picked one up by its tail, its eyes would fall out. Sigh.

About Last Weekend said...

Number1! First I thought you were going to say you were brought up in the other Melrose (ca 94210 or whatever the number is) a hotbed of celebrity and spending! I love green too, especially chartreuse which links the outside to the in.

Rob-bear said...

Cheshire Wife observed:

Well done on the award!

I too am a night person but, would like to be a day person. I have always thought that this was because I was born at 6pm - wide awake and ready to party!

(Sadly, her thoughts didn't get transferred here. Bah, humbug.)

The Bipolar Diva said...

I think a bear on a motorcycle would be wonderful! And you ARE inspiring!

lotta joy said...

Tai Chi used to be my thing. I loved it. I was good at it. Finding the right teacher is harder than pulling hen's teeth. One year ago I started doing it again, and found a group of like-minded old people. The teacher knew less about Tai Chi than she should and the classes would end with the students heading in my direction asking questions about MY form.

I taught one woman how to balance while putting her underpants on. (she fell a lot, and I taught her how to balance correctly) then life hit, and I'm now on my butt more than on my feet.

Rob-bear said...

® Diana: Thanks.
Is your husband getting a motorcycle? I hope he has fun with it if he is!
Scone recipe. Don't know what might have been so messy about the blueberries. Can't recall the recipe out of my head, but it is pretty simple.

® Jacqueline: I should be taking a poll about this motorcycle dream. One thing I do know is that they are extremely expensive.
Thanks for the nomination. I'll check it out.

® Jackie: Thanks. Hope you're having a wonderful time in the Deep South. (How deep is it, btw?)

® ReformingGeek: Sccones are fun, aren't the? Could you share your baking with Oreo and Evil Twin? Or would they tune their noses up at good baking?

® The Golden Eagle: Thanks. Glad you enjoyed the history note.

® rosaria williams: The award is for my blog, not my head. And thanks for your kind comment.

® Chatty Crone: A clean desk is the sign of a sick mind — probably some obsessive-compulsive kind of thing. And scones are easy to make. Perhaps too easy.

® DJan: Thanks. I always enjoy hearing what you are up to, particularly how far up the mountain your got. Happy gardening!

® Helen: I enjoy visiting your poetry blog. And I hope you enjoy visiting with your sister.
Actually, I have a friend who is a Bobcat. Too small to be a problem for me. I sometimes share my leftovers with him.

® Nancy: Thanks, to another night person.

® Mary: Thank you so much for coming to visit. Drawing names out a hat might be good, though some people then might mistake me for the Mad Hatter. Thanks for that, too.

® Blog Fodder: Oh dear. I did not know know that about Guinea Pigs. But I rarely see them, so I don't suppose that matters.

® About Last Weekend: Well, Jody, I'm really not a 90210 kind of Bear. I may have my own pretensions, but they're definitely not Californian.
And Chartreruse in an interesting drink. I tried it once, when visiting some monks; cannot say it is a favourite.

® Cheshire Wife: Sorry your post didn't work out as planned. But thanks.

® Bipolar Dive: The motorcycle thing is a bit, well, scary. I'm a big Bear, and those two-wheeled things look kinda small and wobbly.
Thanks for your kindness.

® lotta joy: Thanks for the word about Tai Chi.
However, I've known for a while that you were unbalanced. Now everybody does.

susan said...

Many congratulations for a well deserved award. Your posts are always inspiring and very positive.

I have several favorite blogs I visit but one of the best to see is Little Bang Theory. C.R. takes quite amazing photographs around his home in western Massachusetts.

Anita said...

So many interesting facts about you Bear,that I'm having a time choosing the most interesting. You bake, you're good with history, do Tai Chi, want to ride a motorcycle...

It's a pleasure knowing you and seeing your wise comments throughout the blogoshere.

Congratulations on receiving the blog award. You are well thought of.

Inger said...

Congratulations on your award! How fun to find out all these things about you. I bowed out of awards myself, so I will not recommend anyone. It just became too much, not that I didn't appreciate them.

Manzanita said...

Delightful to learn new Bear traits. They do a lot more than hibernate and eat honey. I came out of my mushroom cave to get a peek at the sunshine but back I'll go. Unlike a Bear, I hibernate in the summer. Come crispy leaves and snow-flakes, I'll be back. Until then, adios dear friend. A motorcycle, huh?

Amanda Summer said...

congratulations rob - it's always enjoyable to learn more about you!

i have never tried to make doughnuts, either. i think some things taste better when made by others.

as for blogs to nominate, i very much enjoy reading rubye jack and options for a better world, to name a couple.

That Janie Girl said...

I consider your blog inspiring…but you already won!! xoxoxo

J Cosmo Newbery said...

Well done on the award! Nice list too!

Cathy Olliffe-Webster said...

Green huh... Maybe it's because we're getting older and moldering...

Rob-bear said...

® susnn: Thanks for your kindness, and for putting me on to the Little Bang Theory.

® Anita: Thanks for your appreciative thoughts.
I was over to your blog, and am still thinking about the concept of "enough."

® Inger: Thanks. You deserve an ward for your blog; you do such fascinating things. But I understand.

® Manzanita: Laying low in the summer. Good concept this year. Bear is spending lots of time in the water. See you when things cool down.

® Amanda: I had a baker friend who quit making donuts. Got tired of the "hole" business. And you're right; some things are bet done by others. Like archaeology.
You've nominated two of my favourite bloggers. Thank you for everything.

® That Janie Girl: You are so kind. Thanks.

® J Cosmo Newbery: Thank you. I do enjoy your poetry. A bit bizarre sometimes, but always thought-provoking.

® Cathy Olliffe-Webster: Not moldering — lively! Like Muskoka trees. And your blog.

Lydia said...

You certainly deserve this award, and I certainly enjoyed reading your list. Some thoughts it generated are:

I currently live across some acreage from a beautiful hill with an abbey on top. As the crow flies it is about three miles from our house. Info about: Mount Angel Abbey.

I have always been a night person, only now I am even more of a night person. This means that I am an awake-all-night-go-to-bed-at-dawn person who wants desperately to go back to being just a normal night person again!

I took Tai Chi lessons with a co-worker, and even have some dvds to practice, but I have not done it for decades. Don't try it on a motorcycle.

A blog I find always inspiring is Naked Pastor (he is also a Canadian).

Furtheron said...

I would love a bike too but think with my balance problems not a good idea :-)