Monday, June 13, 2011

OPTIMISTIC (A-Z CHALLENGE)

I try to be optimistic. I try to be confident and hopeful about the future.

In the past I have told you being positive. But I'll refresh your memory.

John: "Only fools are positive."
Frank: "Are your sure?"
John: "I'm positive."

Well, that's one way of dismissing the positive, the optimistic of the world.

But in truth, what is optimism?

I believe it is an attitude that looks at each day, saying, "Where are the good things which are going to happen today?" The follow-up question is, "How can I be part of these good things, or at least some of them?"

I often find myself in a less-than-optimistic frame of mind. Constant pain, depression, and fatigue have a way of doing that to a person.

My goal, now that I am beginning to feel better, is to find ways of focusing on the good things which could or will happen, and making sure I am part of whatever they are.

And I think I can be optimistic about that approach.

------------

Also brought to you by the letter O:
• oblique
• obscure
• olive
• overloaded
• opportunity

And from the New Phonetic Alphabet: O for you.

9 comments:

Snowbrush said...

Don't forget opossum.

The Blog Fodder said...

Wayne and Shuster. The world's best comedy pair.

ain't for city gals said...

Hi Rob, First thank you for the lovely comment on my dad...they all help. I am so happy to see this post from you...I am hoping you can keep on feeling positive...I can not imagine having chronic pain...physically or mentally ....wishing you the best...

Helen said...

... or opsimath.

Rosaria Williams said...

And I bet that optimistic people attract similar folks, and they feed each other to the next stage of optimism.
Glad you are feeling better, Rob.

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

...and what great opportunity now that the oppresive short days of winter are gone!

Thank you for all your comments, mon ami!

About Last Weekend said...

This is a good way of putting it. I have to be more optimistic and teach my daughter to be the same. In the end life is whatever way you slant it, noone really knows what reality is...

Rob-bear said...

® Snowbrush: I'm not opposed to opossums. I especially liked Pogo.

® Blog Fodder: Ah, distinctly we remember.

® afcg: Thanks for the note and for the encouragement. As for being positive, I would refer you back to John and Frank. My frame of mind, however, seems to be pushing me in creative and happy directions.

® Helen: Is that really a word? I must check.

® rosaria: Do you mean, "Laugh and the world laughs with you; cry and you cry alone"? Probably a great truth there.

® Genie: What a great time to be in Paris!

® ALW: Right on, Jodi! Reality could be a tale told by fool, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. But I think it's much more fun than that; why miss out on the fun?

Wendy said...

Hmmmm, I'm positive,too - but am i Frank or am I john?