Friday, September 17, 2010

FROSTY FRIDAY IN . . . SASKATOON (But Harvest Done)

The first frost of this season arrived, overnight, as predicted. Down to -1°C (that's 30F), but with the wind chill, -7C (or 19F).  While it was cool outside, the basement was toasty warm. The gas stove, set on thermostat, turned itself on (and off) at the right times. Thankfully.

I did manage to get the last of the tomatoes and carrots harvested yesterday, ahead of the frost.

This year's crop of carrots is reasonable.


The tomatoes, however, are mostly small and green,


the result of a wet, cold summer. Some of these are actually small varieties; most are not, sadly.

The good news is the carrots are good eating, and I have a Canadian recipe for Green Tomato Chutney. The chutney is made primarily with green tomatoes, a couple of apples, and some odds and ends, including raisins and a tiny bit of ginger.

Now, please, could someone tell me with what one would eat with such a chutney? Thank you.

P.S.: Now, another frost warning for tonight.

Footnote:
This is the time of year when Her Ladyship, Miss Sadie, goes a bit "nuts," chasing after leaves as they skitter along the ground. If I suddenly disappear from the blogging world, it's likely because of a dislocated shoulder or elbow, or perhaps stress fractures of the wrist or hand, achieved while accompanying Her Ladyship. Please Bear with me in my absence, should that occur.

9 comments:

Rosaria Williams said...

Anytime you have apples in your chutney, it goes with sausages, or pork roast. Do share the recipe, though!

Rob-bear said...

® lakeviewer: Thanks for the "heads up" on chutney with apples, Rosaria.

Best I try the recipe before I inflict it on others. If I live, I'll tell the tale.

potsoc said...

It also goes well with hotdogs and hambergers. Try mixing it with mustard and ketchup, add some red wine. Excellent for basting BBQed steaks and chicken breasts.

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Oh, I'm soo impressed!!! What a harvest!! And oh, dearie me...I hope that Miss Sadie doesn't inadvertently cause you harm!!! Be careful, dear Bear!!! Hugs, Janine

Rob-bear said...

® Potsoc: Thanks for the ideas. For years I've been a meat and potatoes (and omelettes) kind of cook. In retirement (which starts at the end of this month), I'm hoping to learn to be a bit more adventurous in my cooking.

® S&S: The harvest is due to the huge amount of rain we had this year. Good year to experiment with growing things.
As for Miss Sadie — sigh!
Hugs to you, too!

Natalie said...

It is very yummy on meat sandwich too.Especially with added tasty cheese and toasted.

Rob-bear said...

® Natsy: You're making me really hungry. But thanks for the suggestion.

Amanda Summer said...

what a nice return on your crop, rob-bear -- esp the tomatoes....i am envious. you know i'm a fan of frying the green ones, but i like your idea of making a chutney from them. as far as what to eat with it, rosaria is spot on -- nothing better to serve with chutney than pork roast, of course, you can also do lamb. but that's more a spring-y thing, right?

Rob-bear said...

® amanda: Actually, this chutney business is a while new experience to me. Kind readers have offered such delightful suggestions, for which I am thankful.
Lamb is a virtually unknown territory as well, though it is grown in our province.
So many interesting options.