Saturday, January 16, 2010

"HALF BLIND"

I'm not really going blind. It just seems that way. Even since Sadie made herself a "Spectac-ular Dog," life has just become a bit more challenging. (Sadie still has an ASBO for that — as in "Anti-Social Behavior Order" — and probably will for a while yet.) "Grr@$#%$^&*@rr," says Bear. "You're grounded for a long time, kid!"

My first eye surgery went delightfully well. I can see almost perfectly through my right eye. I probably won't need glasses for distance viewing, or to drive, in the future. (Bear is very pleased about that!).

Surgery on my left eye will be done a month from today. (Bear is very pleased about that, too!)

But I can't read anything. If it's closer than about three feet, it's becoming a fuzzball. (I use a magnifying glass to read what I'm typing, including this post.) But all of this in quite manageable; low nuisance value.

This afternoon I decided to cook some rice. Easy as Cake. Piece of Pie. (If you're confused about the transposition in those phrases, you need to see the 1984 movie based on Arthur C. Clarke's
2010: Odyssey Two.) One cup of brown rice, two cups of water. Put in a heavy pot on the stove, bring to a boil, let simmer for 45 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to sit for 10 minutes. And, "Bob's your uncle," cooked, nutritious brown rice.

Uh, no.

Bear opens kitchen drawer. Bear looks at measuring cups. Bear cannot read the labels on measuring cups. Bear reaches for magnifying glass on window ledge in kitchen. Finally figures out which measuring cup is which. (Figuring out one cup or half cup actually isn't too difficult; but between a third and a quarter cup — who can tell?) Rice is made.

In the process, I have come to appreciate very much the sight I have. I have also come to wonder how people manage who are blind. I know there are some skills that can be learned to compensate, somewhat. Bit I'm sure it is much more difficult that I can ever imagine to be truly sightless.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am ALWAYS wondering how people who are blind can manage. That was my worst problem with my Bichon when he went blind. I was totally so terrorized and empathetic for him that I could hardly function myself!

CAMILLA said...

HELLO ROB-BEAR.!

SENDING MY BEST WISHES TO YOU FOR THAT EYE SURGERY ON LEFT EYE SOON. I TRULY SYMPATHISE WITH WHAT YOU ARE EXPERIENCING DEAR BEAR, WE RELY ON OUR SIGHT SO MUCH FOR THINGS TO DO.

PLEASE KEEP US POSTED ON HOW THINGS ARE GOING ROB-BEAR IF POSSIBLE, WE DO WORRY FOR OUR DEAR KIND BEAR.

THANK YOU FOR KEEPING OUR SPIRITS UP DESPITE YOUR
AILMENTS BEAR.

French Fancy... said...

Oh you poor Rob Bear. We take so much for granted and moan and whinge about relatively unimportant things, never thinking for a moment about people who can't see or hear or speak etc.

I do wish you well and perhaps all will be better once your other eye is done. I do hope so.

Annie said...

Oh poor you. Having fairly recently had an eye infection in one of my eyes I fully appreciate how irritating it is. We really do take for granted the use of our eyes don't we? I really hope normal service resumes very soon for you.
A x

Cait O'Connor said...

I hope your eyes are soon better Rob.

Reasons said...

HI BEAR. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO MAKE THE FONT LARGER WHEN WRITING COMMENTS SO SORRY IF THIS IS HARD TO READ! SO GLAD THE FIRST BOUT OF SURGERY WENT WELL. I HOPE THE SECOND ONE IS JUST AS SUCCESSFUL. SADIE SOUNDS A LITTLE SPIRITED - SHE WILL CALM DOWN SOON I'M SURE..SHE'S GOING THROUGH TODDLERHOOD!

cheshire wife said...

I think that the answer is that people who are blind don't cook.

It must be so frustrating not being able to see properly but you will really appreciate it when your eyes are sorted out.

Rob-bear said...

Thanks, friends, for all your support. Things are getting better. My right eye, as far as I can tell, is all healed up. Left eye is to be done in just over three weeks. I expect to be doing really well by Easter.

Jackie said...

I pray for your up-coming surgery on February 16.
Blessings to you, Rob.
I hope that all goes well for you.
Smiles from Jackie