Tuesday, August 14, 2012

IN WHICH BEAR TRIES TO SOLVE A PROBLEM . . .

and gets nowhere in the process.

Picture This

Yup. It was one of "those days." You know, don't you.

To review. Bear could not get good pictures of the parade while standing the "Corporate Box." (There were pictures, but not good ones.) Bear was embarrassed to show them to friends (showed only two, so friends would understand the specifics of the difficulty). 

The solution, of course, is not to buy a new camera, but to get a new lens for the camera.

Easier said than done.

Bear went to local camera store. Found the lens he wanted. A mere $1,500.00 (give or take a bit).

Which is about Bear's total "discretionary spending" for a year. Or two.

Very depressing.

Decision time. 

Defer decision-making; Bear is depressed. 

Ask for help. 

The question is:" Should Bear get a new lens for his camera?"



OK, folks. Have at it. Please let the Bear know what you think. Thank you. 


Elsewhere in Bear's World

I know that some of you go through times when Life gets in the way of Blogging. That often happens during the summer. When folks go on holidays. Or at other holiday times. Or family emergencies.

In Bear's case, that happens when life gets busy.

September 17, 2012 marks the first anniversary of Occupy Wall Street (and the similar occupations in over a thousand cities and towns around the globe). That was an event which changed some of the public dialogue in the world. The 99%, you say? Indeed. Etc. 

Well, that was too good an event to forget. So this year. . . .

More on that, another time.

And while I'm not planning on leading our congregation again, any time soon, I have been asked to take on responsibility in a couple of ministry projects with the congregation. (Am I too easy, or what?)

So, if my presence seems a bit limited, I haven't gone away mad, or anything like that. I'm just "otherwise occupied." 

Blessings and Bear hugs, friends.

16 comments:

susan said...

Chores are supposed to be things you don't necessarily want to do but must if you want to continue inhabiting a reasonably tidy and sanitary household. Blogging is for fun and sharing when you have the time and inclination.

Disappearing from time to time is perfectly acceptable and there will be no loss of affection.

You are a good man, Mr. Bear.

DJan said...

That is a WAY expensive lens, Bear. I think I would faint if I saw that price tag and considered, really considered, spending it so I could make nice pictures. Anyway, I'll miss you if you don't show your virtual face around here, but I totally understand how life gets in the way of blogging... :-)

About Last Weekend said...

Good news to be "otherwise occupied" you are getting on with your life and being in demand. I vote get the lens if you love taking far away shots. I'm happy with a basic snappy as I just do close-ups of people mostly...

The Bipolar Diva said...

I'm SO not the person to ask whether or not to buy something. you know me.

Rosaria Williams said...

Bye what makes you happy, and will continue to enhance your quality of life. We can't take it with us, Bear. And our kids won't appreciate much of what you leave behind anyhow.

Rosaria Williams said...

I meant buy!

cheshire wife said...

I would not spend that much money on a camera lens. The photo that you posted looked OK to me.

I think that we all need a break from blogging every now and again. After all everybody is entitled to a holiday from their day job.

Helen said...

Congregation folk are lucky to have you!!! Buy the lens.

Inger said...

An expensive lens -- there is no cheaper one that will do the trick? What happened to the Occupy movement?

Chatty Crone said...

I dunno if you should buy that lens or not. I wouldn't, but I have spent money on a lot of things that others would think I should not!

Well I have missed you and I will miss you, but you have to do what you need to do Bear. I hope you are going to enjoy it though.

Miss you, sandie



Diana said...

It's healthy to keep one's self occupied Bear! Stay busy, life's short. Buy the lens, life's short!!
Love Di ♥

kj said...

i am giving my five year old grandson a $ 150 camera as my birthday present to myself. i am doing this because i am saving the money for it and because this means he and i can share taking pictures together and that is priceless.

why should you not take the best photos you can and want to? no contest, this one.

love
kj

kj said...

i am giving my five year old grandson a $ 150 camera as my birthday present to myself. i am doing this because i am saving the money for it and because this means he and i can share taking pictures together and that is priceless.

why should you not take the best photos you can and want to? no contest, this one.

love
kj

lotta joy said...

Sit down bear and listen to me. You can buy the lens, but you will never get $1,500 worth of pleasure from it. Then, your camera will break. (trust me)

A cheaper way, and how I do it, is to use a cheap photo program to crop your distant photos. If your camera has a high megapixel rate (14)it will still look sharp.

Knowing you though, I assume you're still using film. *sigh*

Hilary said...

If you're going to grin anticipating using the lens (and you can afford it easily enough) ... absolutely buy the lens.

And enjoy your time away.. but make sure you take lots of pics if you do get the lens.

Unknown said...

Holy moly -- $1500 for a lens and you're thinking about it? If you have nothing better to do with that money, consider yourself a very lucky person and count your blessing.