Saturday, November 10, 2012

SNOW JOB! (with morning update)

We're having a regular winter blizzard in the land of the Bear. I would send you a picture, but the snow is so heavy, I cannot see anything outside because of the snow.

We had been warned, however, so J and I wrapped up our afternoon shopping trip about 10  minutes before things started getting really bad.  

UPDATE:   With the morning sun, we can see some of the new beauty, particular the ice pans forming on the river.



You can also see how much the ice has filled in the south shore of the river (the area from the trees, on the shore, to the open water).


It is snowing again; I can barely see across the river, and the snow is blowing sideways, instead of falling down. Total snowfall could reach 30 cms. (12 inches), but not likely around here.

We could get 25 centimetres (10 inches) of snow overnight, and winds up to 60 k/h (40 miles and hour). Enough to make things really "interesting" in the morning. 

If you miss me for a few days, please don't panic. It just means the power has been knocked out by heavy snowfall. In case such an event occurs, we have lots of supplies to get us by. (It's not the first time we've lived through a big storm.) We've got:
• blankets
• sweaters
• parkas
• food
• candles and flashlights
• battery powered radio
• cell phone and land line

The people in Colorado, Minnesota, and Montana will understand this very clearly. Others, perhaps, not so much.

Best way to get through this is to cuddle up in some blankets, especially with some body (as if we needed an excuse!). Can't afford to waste energy on a cold day! Besides, it's all part of the "be cool but stay warm" philosophy, which works so well up here. 

So, we'll just relax, and we'll be fine. 

ON ANOTHER NOTE, something for Remembrnce Day (which I think you Americans call "Veterans' Day"). I don't know what it is called in other places. J found this for me; it's called "A Pittance of Time," by Terry Kelly, a Canadian. Have a listen!

ALSO, I've been working on something for my Bears Noting (editorial) blog — a Canadian perspective on the US election, and what it might mean for us to the north. I thought it would be ready by now. But it's not. In fact, the more I edit it, the more it is turning into utter drivel. And if it does not improve radically, it will not see the light of day. I refuse to publish drivel. 

Blessings and Bear hugs!

26 comments:

The Bipolar Diva said...

stay safe and warm in all that white stuff@

J Cosmo Newbery said...

Stay safe. Stay warm. And just imagine howe bad it would be if climate change was really true! What? Oh.

Lydia said...

Brrrrrrr, Bear! You do sound prepared, but after reading your post I am going to take a hot bath and get under the covers!

Take care this weekend in the storm.

Helen said...

Good Morning Bear!
Twenty-four years in Minnesota prepared me for almost anything, I think! I certainly don't miss the extremes.
Please stay safe,
Woonie Lady

Kristy said...

Brrr.... Don't send that storm east. It is hard to believe it is winter weather time already.

cheshire wife said...

Stay safe and warm. I do dot like to think about the idea of not having power when it is so cold outside. Hopefully the power will not go off.

DJan said...

Oh, Bear! You must be such a fun person to cuddle with, Mrs. Bear must not mind a snowstorm all that much! Stay safe and warm, and think of the pictures afterwards! :-)

Manzanita said...

Winter at last. We're having it too. The snow is above my knees and I don't know where to park my car. So far, I can't get anyone to plow my drive way.
Our Veterans Day began as Armistice Day and was renamed in 1954 (I think). You have opened up a memory box and I remember the Armistice Day blizzard.

Yes, I have all of your checklist items and now...... just to settle in for the weekend. Put on the mucklucks and relax.
Peace....Manzanita

Frances said...

Ahhh, what a wise Bear you are.

I do hope that your electric power stays powerful. It's clear that your own unique spirit is quite strong!

xo

Rob-bear said...

Good morning, friends. The power is still on, the temperature is -12°C (10F), and ice pans are forming on the river (the first step in the river freezing over almost completely).

Meanwhile, we've been told that snowfall totals of 20 to 30 cm are likely by Sunday morning. That 30 cms of snow is about 12 inches. City crews are doing their best to keep roadways open.

Thank you so much for your good wishes. We are doing very well. I hope to be able to take some pictures when the light is good.

ReformingGeek said...

Dang! That's a lot of snow, Bear! I'm glad you're prepared. I'm sending warm thoughts your way.

The photos are beautiful. I've never seen a river freeze over, just photos!

We are expecting cooler weather here in Texas by next week.

Hilary said...

Full fledged winter.. ugh! I hope you and the Mrs. Bear stay warm and cozy, and that your power remains throughout.

Jackie said...

Stay very warm, my friend.
The photos are lovely, and I do enjoy seeing those types of photos. We don't have snow here...much less ice. Continue to stay warm.
I could give you my "take" on what the election is going to do to OUR (USA) country...sigh...but enough of politics. Suffice it to say that I think we are in for a verrrrry LONG 4 years here.
My candidate (Romney) did not win, but we are a democracy, and we move together....in one direction or another! :))
Smiles,
J.

Rob-bear said...

® ReformingGeek, Hilary, and Jackie:

Still doing OK, but we've still got a blizzard going here, though it is somewhat milder. And, no, it's not from Dairy Queen. I was reporting on an early-afternoon teach-in; roads on the way home were passible, but not much more.

I agree with you, Jackie; it think it is going to be a very long four years, especially if Republicans in Congress try to block everything the President suggests. And since both parties are about neck and neck in voter support, I suspect both will try to claim some voter legitimacy. My worry is that everyone will fiddle while American burns, and we in Canada will get badly burned, too.

chicago foodie girl said...

Yikes...soooo not ready for that!!

potsoc said...

Still puzzled as to why all that white stuff has not yet drifted over here. Not that I miss it so much.

Irene said...

I suppose that this is a normal turn of events for you. Lots of snow and cold temperatures which we here are not ready for at all and will not be for some time. I'm glad to hear that you are well prepared and that you both have a warm body to snuggle up to. xox

Chatty Crone said...

Well it is Canada - all of Canada gets snow - right? Just kidding - but that snow looks cold! Be sure and snuggle up. Take care of yourself. sandie

Inger said...

Good that you got your supplies ready to ride out the storm. We got a dusting of snow yesterday and this morning it was 12F and my cheeks hurt when I walked Samson before sunrise. I hope some of that snow will come down to us. Love it!!

lotta joy said...

I'm looking forward to reading of your perspective regarding the slaughter....I mean ELECTION.

I remember looking forward to a pot of beans simmering on the stove and cuddling beneath an afghan. The truth was usually Joe shoveling snow and me hoping we stayed well during the ice storms.

susan said...

I hope you don't lose power but take the time and quiet to cuddle up anyway.

I still tend to call the holiday Armistice Day after 11.11.1918 at 11:00am when the War to End All Wars was finished. If only it had been that.

Peace and comfort to you and J.

Amanda Summer said...

your list of winter necessities reminds me of my upbringing and the phrase "you can take the girl out of minnesota but you can't take the minnesota out of the girl." to this day, i still carry a blanket and deicer in my car (even though i now live further south) but in recent years i finally did away with my jumper cables.

stay safe and warm r-bear. xo

kj said...

rob, i can't believe this blizzard! i know i will have my share too in time, but now i so understand how safe and cozy and ready you have approached this.

the air in winnipeg freezes traffic lights...

i wrote something like this in tribute to my friend renee. i keep asking you if you knew her....?

i will be very interested to hear your take on america's elections...

love
kj

Anita said...

How ya doin' up there? It's been three days.

As a southerner, I've never heard the phrase, "ice pans," ...as old as I am! I learn something new every time I visit. :)

As kj said, your opinion on the election should be interesting.

About Last Weekend said...

Wow, that ice is incredible. You must be absolutely freeezing! I feel cold just looking at these photos - take care of yourself, now.

A Lady's Life said...

Oh I love the snow and would be playing in it right now but the old bones creek so Staying cuddled up inside is good too. lol
Here its wet and damp.
Not good either.
Have a good one Bear!