Wednesday, November 21, 2012

HIBERNATION TIME

As you understand, gentle readers, we Bears do this hibernation thing every winter. It is in our nature. It is also much better than staying awake all winter. (Sorry about that, Human friends.)

Even the weather seems hibernation-style.


This year, again, I will not have Her Ladyship, Miss Sadie, to look after things for me. I did meet her after worship at Knox Church one Sunday a while back. She is entirely healthy, and asked me to send her best regards to all of you. But she has absolutely no intention of leaving her country estate to live in the city. Ever. She was quite clear about that. Very emphatic. She much prefers to be served in luxury, frolic as she pleases, and howl with the coyotes (once she is safely inside).

She did, of course, retain all her Royal titles. She is still Duchess of St. Swthyn's-Punt-on-Thames (though I hear the punt was scuttled this year to make way for Queen Elizabeth's grand anniversary flotilla on the Thames). Likewise, Duchess of Cardigan and Wooly Boots (or is it Muddy Boots; no matter, either would likely be correct, I believe). And also Warden of Offa's Dyke, by Royal Appointment. 

For those not familiar with Offa's Dyke, also called Clawdd Offa, it is an astonishing piece of military architecture, running roughly (very roughly) along the Welsh-English border. It was designed to keep Welsh barbarians from marauding in England, and/or English barbarians from marauding in Wales. As to the true nature of who the marauders are, you need to check with the descendants of the Marcher Lords or the descendants of Owain Glyndwr (the last Welshman to hold the title Prince of Wales). Just do not expect to get  "harmonious" reports from those sources.

At any rate, Miss Sadie will not be here, so my blog will be silent, more or less. If there are some nice days, I might stick my snout out to see what is happening. I do not expect to be out at the beginning of February, or thereabouts. That is a festival reserved for the marmot called a "Ground Hog" and I shan't attempt to rival him on that occasion. (Besides, he usually doesn't have a clue about what's going on with the weather.)

So: Merry/Happy Yule and Christmas, Blessed Easter, Happy New Year (and I hope you have a delightful time with all the festivals I have missed naming).

As always, blessings and Bear hugs.

30 comments:

The Broad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Broad said...

I shall miss you, dear Bear. I am familiar with Offa's Dyke, having friends in and around the Marches. Beautiful part of the world and beautiful people, too! Sleep well, and see you when your snout comes out!

middle child said...

Try to enjoy your rest.

DJan said...

I will be picturing you snoozing happily, with a gentle snore now and then, until the spring greenery and your empty stomach arouse you. Big bear hugs to you! I'll miss you until then... :-)

Kristy said...

Hope you enjoy your rest. Look forward to seeing you after hibernation.

Cathy Olliffe-Webster said...

I shall miss your uplifting comments and positive influence on the internet, Monsieur Bear. I do wish you a good sleep and want you to know that I wish, more than anything, that I could hibernate, too!
See ya in the spring!!

A Lady's Life said...

Have a happy hibernation Bear.
Keep well. I hope Sadie visits you.

lotta joy said...

I actually celebrate none of the holidays, preferring to ignore what a $6 Kmart calendar orders me to do.

I've learned that the best thing to celebrate is a day without too much pain, too much sleep, or too much stress.

I can't waste time forcing myself into the expectations of celebratory energy I don't have.

Sleep well, Sir Bear. You are loved by many, adored by all, needed by ME.

Hilary said...

Sending a big bear hug your way... enjoy your snooze. We'll all be happy to see you upon your awakening.

Rob-bear said...

® The Broad: Sounds like Offa's Dyke would be a good place for a Bear to roam. Hope you have a great winter, in France or England! See you in the spring!

® middle child: Thank you. I hope you have a restful few months over the winter (though I suspect it won't feel like a Bear's winter). See you when the world is warmer.

® DJan: Lovely word-picture you have painted of resting Bear. Sounds delightful! I suspect there will be Chipmunks sleeping in my fur this winter (seems to happen fairly regularly). Looking forward to seeing you again when the white landscape turns green.

Rob-bear said...

® Kristy: Looking forward to a restful time, indeed. I hope your winter isn't too frantic! See you in the spring!

® Cathy Olliffe-Webster: "Uplifting comments and positive influence on the internet." Thank you for saying that; very kind of you. I hope you have a wonderful winter, too. Snow, skiing, and so much more. And pls. don't work too hard. I hope to see you around the time the maple sap starts running.

® A Lady's Life: I intend to hibernate happily. I hope you have a wonderful winter, too. Though, I think you winters are more rainy than snowy.

Rob-bear said...

® lotta joy: I hope you have a wonderful winter, regardless of whether you choose to celebrate certain milestones. As long as you can manage without those "too muchs," I think you'll do fine. See you in the spring, which I don't suspect will be much different from the winter in your locale. Blessings and Bear hugs to you and your studs.

® Hilary: I enjoy that Bear hug! I'll dream about your pictures in the winter, and book forward to seeing them in the spring. Hope you and your pooch have a great winter!

Rosaria Williams said...

We are not sure how to survive without our Bear! Do rest if you must; winter demands you do just that. We just have to be patient.

Manzanita said...

Dear Bear, Like 2 trains passing in the night, we wave and nod to each other. I come back and you go.

I know nada of what you speak but I don't have to and therein lies the mysterious delight.

Rest in comfort and I'll welcome you when I see you.
In peace, Manzi

Janie Junebug said...

Sweet Dreams.

Love,
Janie

Frances said...

Best wishes to you, dear Bear. Spring seems a very long ways away, so I surely do hope you will occasionally stray from hibernating.

xo

That gentleman's lady said...

A quick hug then, before you leave, Bear :) Much much love to you!

Irene said...

Well, you are bound to do what you have set your mind on and I guess no one can change it. You are very determined. I can normally not plan that far ahead. Have a good snooze! xox

Chatty Crone said...

I am soooooo sad. But I know a bears got to do what a bears got to do. sandie

J Cosmo Newbery said...

Sleep well. Sleep warm.

Furtheron said...

Offa's Dyke is impressive - especially when you realise it is about 1,300 years old...

potsoc said...

From far away Québec, I will watch over your hibernation, just in case.

ReformingGeek said...

** Big hugs **

I hope your snooze goes well. I will send food come spring.

Rob-bear said...

® rosaria williams: I'm sure you'll do just find without the Bear. Besides, I'm just going for a nap; I'll be back before you know it. (More or less.) I look forward to seeing you then!

® Manzanita: Thanks. I'll be back, as I said to Rosaria. In fact, if a really nice day comes along, I might stick out my snout, and see what is happening.

® Janie Junebug: Fret not, Bear will be back before most of the June bugs. Thanks.

® Frances: Thanks! As I said to Manzi,
my shout
may come out,
on a nice winter's day,
there's little doubt.
See you in the spring.

About Last Weekend said...

I will miss your uplifting comments too, I am the best sleeper in the world and sometimes I wish I could sleep for a season too. Happy all the holidays to you.

cheshire wife said...

I might just join you. Is there space for a small one in your den?

Lydia said...

Much love to you as you sweetly sleep, dear Bear.

susan said...

The world will continue while you drowse and we will await your awakening.

Peace and good wishes for a safe and happy winter.

Jfromtheblock said...

I remember this time either last year or last last year, I had a brief interchange with you just as you went into hibernation, how time flies! How we grow. All the best Bear xx

Amanda Summer said...

peaceful slumber, dear r-bear — and i am so happy to hear that miss sadie is doing well roaming about her country estate. i will miss her winter updates, as well as yours.

love,

amanda
xoxo