Friday, August 31, 2012


Number One Son

We got a call at 2:00 this morning. Not the usual time for phone calls. (OK, make that yesterday morning — I see it's already Saturday.) Normally, I am not awake at that time of the morning; it was a "lucky call," insofar as I was awake.

Our daughter-in-law phoned saying T was sick and needed to go to hospital. So I pulled on some clothes and headed over. 

When I got there, the ambulance and fire engine had already arrived. (Standard plan is to send a fire crew to a health-related call, as support for the ambulance team.)

So, it was off to local hospital for T and A (our dil). She took my car; they don't have one.  I stayed with the grandkids, who slept through the whole mis-adventure. 

Three hours later, they were back. T had been checked out, and nothing particularly wrong. Most likely problem was a reaction to some medication he had taken. (Whole family there has been fighting off cold-like symptoms for since mid-July.)

So, it was fortunate that there was no serious problem. Grandkids spent the day at our place. They are sleeping here tonight, too. All the adults are tired.

Bear's Medical Challenges

Thursday, Bear saw his doctor.

We had a "productive" chat.

Bear will be taking more medication. More anti-depressive medication. (That's a depressing thought in itself.)

Bear will also be trying to find more creative things to do with life in retirement. As in, the creative things Bear is doing are good, just that he needs to be doing more of them. 

Bear supposes this means becoming more creative and intentional about blogging. And poetry writing (on Bear's other blog).  

We will find out soon enough.

~     ~     ~

Thank you for Bearing with me while "indisposed." Bear's disposition will improve in due course. Hopefully, at least. Lest he be disposed of. (Particularly for ending that last sentence with a preposition.)

Blessings and Bear hugs! 


DJan said...

Well! Bear took himself to the doctor, which is a good thing, and Bear will be even more Bearable now, it seems. I think Bear is very huggable, even when he's being a Bear. :-)

Hilary said...

What DJan said Bears noting. I hope you're feeling better very soon. :)

Kristy said...

Hope you get to feeling better. Staying with an active mind helps and it seems you know that and are taking steps toward that. Baby steps you will come out of it. Hugs

Irene said...

I know you'll soon have a most positive state of mind and be bearable again. Not that you aren't now really. I hope you find wonderful creative things to do to keep you occupied. xox

Helen said...

A few of the folks I love most in this world are on anti-depressant medication! All good!!!!! Roooaaaarrrr.

Diana said...

I think I get how you're feeling Bear. For sometime now I've been feeling very down, sort of like, "Is this all there is?". I can't seem to pull myself out of it but I keep trying none the less. I am on far too many medications for other conditions that I believe don't help these feelings and don't want to be on anymore than I have to.
I know it's through these times that we are supposed to turn to God. I have been talking to my Pastor who is a also a therapist and the good news is I am not clinically depressed. So what do we do? I'm thinking I need to physically move more. I don't think that this summer has helped as it's been too hot to be outside with nature. Nature always picks me up. I feel closest to God then.
So I hope things get better for you my Dear Bear. I love Canada and imagine it to be very beautiful. Perfect for long walks in the woods. Just what a Bear might like.
Love and Bear hugs to you, Love Di ♥

ReformingGeek said...


Yes, that's from the cat. Evil Twin just growled. She may need to see a doc soon.

Glad to see your furry self back on the airwaves.

Donna K. Weaver said...

Meds can make a difference, even with the side effects. My hubby who retired last fall plays EVE online.

lotta joy said...

This heat has turned Stud into something brainless and it has turned me into a tunnel rat with anger issues. During all this, I forgot to take my anti-depression med (that don't work anyway). Today, in the midst of biting Stud's head off (he wasn't using it anyway) I saw three days worth of pills sitting in the bottle. hmmmm. Maybe they're anger management pills....

Inger said...

Depression is a terrible thing and I so hope that whatever you decide to do, in addition to the meds, will help. When things are that serious, I don't know if walking would help. I'm only mentioning it because it helps me so much to deal with my various illnesses and always puts a smile on my face. But then, I am not depressed, so I don't know. Take care my friend. We all care about you.

Golden Eagle said...

I hope you start to feel better soon!

Chatty Crone said...

Depression is a real disease with a severe chemical reaction misfiring in the brain. That being said I hope and pray the doctor can figure out the combination your brain needs - that is a big part of it.

Hopefully these will do the trick and you will feel better soon.


J Cosmo Newbery said...

Thank you for the Bear update.

Rob-bear said...

® DJan: You're so sweet, I could hug you! Trust that would be Bearable.
Appointment with doctor was follow-up from six weeks ago. A lot can happen in six weeks!

® Hilary: "Bears Noting" is my original blog. It doesn't get used very much these days.

® Kristy: Thanks for the support. Am making changes in baby steps; think those will lead to larger steps in the not-too-distant future.

® Irene: Looking forward to wonderful things. Thanks.

® Helen: Thanks. And Grrrrrrr to you.
Maybe this is the incentive I need to get a bit more involved in my poetry writing.

susan said...

I was glad to know that nothing serious was wrong with your son. I can imagine that was a scary call to get - nobody ever seems to call with good news at 2am.

Hopefully, you'll be feeling better soon as well.

That gentleman's lady said...

SO glad to hear that son is ok. Hospitals always worry me. I don't do too well with them. But if I have to be there, I have to be there. You know how it is.

I hope the medicine helps you, Bear. I know creativity will help. Poetry writing? I must investigate!

Feel much much better, and as always, Bear hugs!!!


ain't for city gals said...

Checking in to see how you are doing. Maybe a combination of everything will do the can all get so complicated if we let it...simple works the best for me. (and exercise...are you still doing yours?)..p.s...glad your son is good..

Amanda Summer said...

i'm so happy to hear your son is feeling better - that must have been quite a scare. i bet you are tired from all the stress - hoping you are feeling better very soon.

bear hugs,


Rosaria Williams said...

Glad to hear your son is o.k. and you were able to help out. Take good care of yourself.

Nancy said...

Happy to hear all is well with your son. I had similar problems with a cold that lasted forever last winter. Stay well and healthy - we all care about you!

middle child said...

You always comment and I just wanted to tell you that I am soooo grateful for the love you send. You are awesome. I care.

Lins' lleisio said...

Thank goodness your son is fine. You Bear are an inspiration. Taking yourself to the doctors is a positive step. Keep talking, writing and being your creative self. xx

Anita said...

The grass is always greener...

You are blessed in so many ways. I'm sure there are people who would love to have your life; yet there is a struggle going on.

I'm Believing you'll get better. :)

Good news about your son!

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

Your problem with depression is one I face and I am not hgood on today's meds. They just make it worse for me! Hope you get better. Coffee gives me the shakes and my heart goes too fast!
What Happened to your french writing?
Moi j'aime le français.

About Last Weekend said...

Do whatever it takes to keep you going!